The capacity of the population to process information, apply critical thinking, and make an educated assessment is the most important variable in preventing malign influence in the information space. Without this, no amount of fact checking will be able to keep up with the flood of disinformation. The need for primarily—but not only—young people in Africa to take an active interest in media and information technology and to develop a keen understanding of its impact on their lives is the motivation for this webinar.
This webinar introduces the Digital Communication Network Africa, a coalition of digital influencers from a variety of professional fields working together to put digital information technologies to good use.
- Joan Chirwa, Founder and Coordinator, Free Press Initiative, Zambia
- Dr. Sam Kamau, Lecturer, Aga Khan University, Graduate School of Media and Communication, Kenya
- Prossy Sheila Kawala, Director for Media Initiatives, Center for Media Literacy and Community Development, Uganda
- Amanda Strydom, Program Manager, Senior Program Manager: CivicSignal and Engagement, Code for Africa. South Africa
- Nikos Panagiotou, Associate Professor, School of Journalism and Mass Media Communication, Aristotle University, Digital Communication Network Global, Greece
- Aurra Kawanzaruwa, Director, Africa is Digital, Board Member Digital Communication Network Africa, Zimbabwe
This event is co-organized by the Digital Communication Network Global, DCN Africa and World Learning and is part of a series of virtual events launched in the context of the COVID-19 crisis. The series aims to engage digital communities globally, to promote accurate information, combat distortions, encourage responsible behavior, and discourage panic, support mitigation of a global pandemic, and avoid major societal disruptions. DCN Global is supported by the U.S. Department of State Office of Citizen Exchanges.
DCN is a consortium of non-profits, public and private organizations and companies involved in the fields of digital communication, social impact campaigns, technology, and innovation. It is a unique, interdisciplinary coalition tapping into the best talent and resources across Europe.