The rise of civil society in Belarus can be compared to the freedom and anti-communist movements in the late 1980s. However, what makes this moment in organizing different is the availability of digital communication technology and its power in mobilizing and spreading information. This virtual webinar discusses the ongoing developments in Belarus and the behind-the-scenes mechanics and organizational processes. We look into the nature of the protest and its roots as well as the impact of new technologies.
- Franak Viacorka, Digital Communication Network & Consortium BNR100, Belarus
- Irena Lasota, President/co-director of the Institute for Democracy in Eastern Europe, USA
- Natalia Kaliada, Director of Creative Politics Hub and co-Founder of Belarus Free Theatre. Diplomat, Historian and Writer, U.K.
- Vytis Jurkonis, Project Director, Freedom House, Lithuania
- David Marples, Professor, University of Alberta, Canada
Tuesday, August 4, 2020
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. EDT / 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. EEST
Click here to register