@democracy and social engagement
@truthseeking and disinformation
@privacy and surveillance
You can join us! We will go live on DCN's FB Page (http://bit.ly/2K3mgra) and on DCN's Youtube Channel (https://bit.ly/2Z7YiSW).
9AM-1PM NEW YORK TIME (EST)
9:00 AM | OPENING REMARKS
9:30-10:30 | SECTION: DEMOCRACY & SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT ALARM
Moderated by Professor Nikos Panagiotou, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
In this session, we will discuss how COVID-19 led to a global decline in democracy, and how emerging digital technologies have impacted social and democratic movements. Participants
represent countries with different political situations and experiences of social protest. The panel will also touch on the impact of COVID-19 on civil society and organizations.
9:30-9:45 | Keynote Speaker
● Edward Lucas, Senior Fellow at the Center for European Policy Analysis (CEPA), U.S.
9:45-10:30 | Panel Discussion
●Teffera Teffera, Journalist, Ethiopia
● Stefan Turkheimer, Political consultant, U.S.
● Alexey Minyaylo, Activist and former political prisoner, Russia
● Farai Monro, Satirist TV Host, Zimbabwe
● Franak Viacorka, Journalist and activist, Belarus
● Ahmed Samih, Director, Andalus Institute for Tolerance and Anti-Violence Studies, Cairo, Egypt
● Prof. Christos Frangonikolopoulos, Aristotle University in Thessaloniki, Greece
10:30-11:30 | TRUTH SEEKING & DISINFORMATION ALARM
Moderated by Franak Viacorka, Digital Communication Network
In this section, we will discuss the most recent trends in propaganda and misinformation in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Experts from different sectors and countries will address Chinese, Russian as well as domestic disinformation, and the most efficient ways to tackle the issue.
10:30-10:45 | Keynote Speaker
● Bob Pearson, Global Engagement Center Consultant, U.S
10:45-11:30 | Panel discussion
● Maksym Eristavi, Research Fellow, Atlantic Council Eurasia Center, U.S.
● Cynthia Harvey, Public Affairs Officer, US Embassy Athens, Greece
● Jakub Janda, Director, European Values Center for Security Policy, Czech Republic
● Cristina Tardáguila, Associate Director, International Fact Checking Network, Poynter Institute, U.S.
● Nikos Panagiotou, Head, Digital Communication Network South East Europe, Greece
● Chico Mares, Journalist, Agencia Lupa, Brazil
11:30-12:30 | PRIVACY & SURVEILLANCE ALARM
Moderated by Lukasz Krol, College of Europe, Poland
In this section, we will discuss the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on digital rights. While states worldwide are fighting the pandemic, including using surveillance technology, some have restricted fundamental human rights, including freedom of communication and movement. Experts from around the world will address how different actors are using technology to gather personal data and track citizens.
11:30-11:45 | Keynote Speaker
● Konstantinos Halkiotis, Vice President, Deutsche Telecom 5G, Germany
11:45-12:30 | Panel discussion
● Gabrielle Guillemin, Senior Legal Officer, Article19, United Kingdom
● Arzu Geybulla, Columnist, Blogger, Journalist, Azerbaijan
● Marc Vrijhof, Chairman, European Association of Data Protection Professionals, Netherlands
● Sarkis Darbinyan, RosKomSvoboda, Russia
12:30 - 13:00 Closing by moderators